Head of Construction
Deadline: 01 April 2023
Employment term: Permanent
Job type: Full time
The TUMO Center for Creative Technologies is a free of charge after-school learning program for teenagers at the intersection of technology and design. Over 20,000 students attend TUMO on a regular basis and participate in our innovative, self-paced program. Our educational framework is based on a proprietary platform that promotes learning through interactive game-like levels, exposing users to increasingly challenging activities. Students choose from a large set of instructional activities that they combine into their personal learning plans in skill areas ranging from computer programming and game development to animation and graphic design. To learn more about TUMO, please visit www.tumo.org.TUMO Center for Creative Technologies is seeking an experienced and motivated Head of Construction to oversee TUMO's construction project activities. In this senior-level position, you will have the opportunity to ensure the timely and cost-effective completion of TUMO’s Construction projects, while maintaining high standards of quality and safety.The Head of Construction will be responsible for managing a team of construction engineers, and construction managers, providing direction and guidance to ensure that all deliverables are met. The role will also be responsible for managing the procurement of construction materials and services, negotiating contracts with suppliers and vendors, and ensuring that all projects are delivered within budget.The role requires effective communication and collaboration, being able to work with a range of stakeholders, including senior management, architects, engineers, contractors, and government officials.In addition to technical expertise, the role requires strong leadership and people management skills, providing mentorship and guidance to your team of architects. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker and effective leader, with a proven track record of delivering successful construction projects. The role will be responsible for creating a positive and productive work environment and fostering a culture of collaboration, creativity, and innovation. The role will report to the CEO.
Strategy & Leadership
- Collaborate with executives to ensure strategic plans for the construction department and effectively implemented and aligned with TUMO's overall strategic objectives.
- Initiate improvement in the overall delivery of TUMO’s construction projects.
- Act as the principal point of contact with all levels of management including procurement, architecture managers, consultants, local and International architects, general contractors, and vendors/suppliers.
- Oversee construction projects from conception to completion, including subcontractor selection and coordination
- Develop and manage a cost-effective budget, schedule, and tracking system for multiple projects, including cost estimates and analysis with projected forecasts
- Review projects in-depth to schedule deliverables, estimate costs, and track and control construction schedules and associated costs to ensure timely completion
- Analyze, manage, and mitigate project risks, and plan ahead to prevent problems and resolve any emerging ones
- Minimize possibilities of extending project deadlines, and initiate best practices, procedures, and standards in compliance with Company's standards
- Prepare internal and external project status reports on a monthly basis.
- Address any reported deficiencies and implement corrective actions to maintain quality workmanship and safety standards.
- Maintain effective communication channels with all stakeholders, including project managers and architects, to ensure that construction activities are aligned with project requirements and timelines.
- Manage and supervise construction department staff schedules to ensure timely project completion and optimal resource utilization.
- Provide the team with direction on projects.
- Recruit, hire, train, and onboard new staff as needed.
- Conduct regular team meetings and facilitate effective communication among team members.
- Contribute to the development of a robust culture through role modeling TUMO’s values and the behaviors which drive this culture.
- Foster a culture of safety and quality throughout the construction team by implementing best practices and ensuring adherence to standards and regulations
- Ensure quality construction standards and the use of proper construction techniques
- Oversee all onsite and offsite construction to monitor compliance with building and safety regulations
- You’re a genuine people person who takes pride and pleasure in developing talent and creating engaging workplace cultures and environments for staff at all levels.
- Team player who enjoys building, creating, and executing new strategies
- Trustworthy in managing sensitive situations and information; you are discrete, professional, and possess excellent judgment.
- Collaborative; you enjoy gathering stakeholder input to create innovative shared solutions that meet the needs of the organization
- Comfortable with the uncertain; you are motivated to move forward, make decisions, and finalize details quickly once information is available
- You believe in the talent and potential of TUMO and its mission to change the world through the education of teens.
Your skills & abilities:
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, organization, and ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, troubleshooting along the way as necessary.
- Excellent and professional negotiation skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong supervisory, leadership, and coaching skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Willing to roll up their sleeves to get things done.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic, and problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding professionalism, maintaining the highest levels of confidentiality, discretion, integrity, and maturity even under stressful situations.
- Strong project management and process implementation skills.
- Authentic alignment with and commitment to TUMO’s, core values, and long-term vision.
- Most importantly, a sense of humor, a work-hard/play-hard mentality, and humility
Your Experience & Qualifications
- BS/MS in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, or related field
- Extensive Construction Management experience internationally as well as experience with the construction industry locally in Armenia
- Significant knowledge and proven leadership experience gained from an engineering consultancy background; having managed construction projects along with a thorough knowledge of project management processes and systems
- Expert knowledge of building products, construction details and relevant rules, regulations and quality standards
- High level of proficiency in English; Armenian is a plus but not required
Required candidate level: Not defined
Interested candidates should submit a resume via our career portal by clicking here.
Share this job via your favorite social media channel.
TUMO, an initiative of Simonian Educational Foundation, is a free of charge after-school learning program for teenagers at the intersection of technology and design. Thousands of students attend TUMO on a regular basis and participate in its innovative, self-paced program. Its educational framework is based on a proprietary platform that promotes learning through interactive game-like levels, exposing users to increasingly challenging activities. TUMO's educational methodology is based on a large set of self-instructional activities that each of the Center's students assembles into a personal learning plan in the areas of animation, game development, web development and filmmaking. To learn more about TUMO Center for Creative Technologies, please visit: www.tumo.org
TUMO Center for Creative Technologies not only offers employees a stimulating environment to work and create; but also some very interesting benefits! Employees are encouraged to enjoy a better work-life balance through flexible working hours. Flexible working hours grants our employees more control over their daily work schedules! We at TUMO care for the wellbeing of our employees, thus offer a medical, vision and dental insurance package as well as various discounts at local fitness facilities and traveler’s insurance packages.We believe in recognizing accomplishments not only in the workplace but also in employee’s personal lives. Thus, TUMO encourages employees to celebrate their birthday by giving them an additional day off to take time off to celebrate their day. In an effort to assist employees who have repatriated to Armenia, TUMO offers new hires the initial work permit for working in the Republic of Armenia and overall repatriation counseling which includes but is not limited to, assistance in opening a bank account; applying for citizenship or residency and so on.
Join us at TUMO!
What is TUMO?
TUMO is a new kind of educational experience at the intersection of technology and design.
At TUMO, teens learn because they want to. They’re given the tools and knowhow they need to reach their maximum potential, and they chart their own learning path through hands-on activities, workshops and projects.
The TUMO learning program is made up of self-learning activities, workshops and project labs around 14 learning targets. Teens combine these into personal learning paths that adapt to their evolving preferences and rate of progress.
TUMO has centers in Yerevan, Dilijan, Gyumri and Stepanakert and work is underway to open centers in Koghb and Masis. TUMO Boxes are already in operation in the towns of Berd, Gavar, Sevan, Vayk, Kapan and Martakert. Many more TUMO Boxes will open soon in various towns throughout Armenia and Artsakh. Outside of Armenia, there are centers in Paris, Beirut, Moscow, Tirana, Berlin and Lyon. Centers will soon open in several other cities around the world.